Water tank roof & catchment information
Roofs made of Galvanised iron, Colorbond, Zincalume, Concrete & Ceramic tiles are OK for collection of drinking water.
- Lead-based paint & tar-based (bitumen) coatings should be avoided in the catchment area for a tank which supplies drinking water.
- Make sure there’s no chemically treated timber or lead flashing in the roof catchment.
- Water shouldn’t be collected from parts of the roof where flues from wood burners, come in contact with the roof..
- Asbestos fibres are dangerous when inhaled; it’s believed asbestos roofing sheets pose no risk for water collection, as long as the material is undisturbed.
- Consider you local environment, Example: if you are in an area with industry, high traffic & dust, collected water should be at a minimum be filtered before usage.